Saturday, November 7, 2015
Did you know that eos lip balm spheres are gluten-free?!
These adorable little gems are also free of:
Evolution of Smooth, aka eos, is top notch if you ask me! I'm ordering this eos Limited Edition Lip Balm Trio. It comes with DIY Decorative Jeweled Stickers which I can't wait to play around with. Sometimes you just gotta treat yourself!
Can't find these in a store near you? Visit well.ca to get your hands on this set before it sells out.
Sunday, November 1, 2015
Gluten-free bread has come a long way since I had my first slice, over ten years ago. No longer does it require cringing and toasting. Better yet, gone are the days of tasteless crumbs. Unfortunately, gluten-free bread continues to be haunted by its cardboard-like predecessor.
I know what you're thinking - there is no comparing gluten-free bread to the soft lusciousness of "regular" bread. To put it simply, you're right. Gluten-free bread will never be exactly like its wheat-filled counterpart because well, science. What I can tell you, is that although there will always be room for improvement, the overall taste, quality and texture has improved immensely!
Let's talk about some of the fantastic gluten-free bread options available across Canada.
All But Gluten
Compliments (Sobeys store brand)
Genius by Glutino
Kinnikinnick Soft Breads
Promise Gluten Free
I have had the opportunity to try all of the above brands over the years. While they are all good in my opinion, some are more easily found than others. Also worth noting, prices vary widely. No longer do you have to pay $6.99+ for gluten-free bread!
Kinnikinnick is tops in my book! No toasting necessary and it holds up pretty darn well. Promise Gluten Free is a staple in my home for hamburger buns and chicken sandwiches. All But Gluten offers wonderful buns as well. The Compliments brand via Sobeys is pretty impressive as well. They make really great rolls that can be used for hot dogs and subs.
Canyon Bakehouse is a recent addition to stores in my area and I am enjoying their products thus far. I would like to see Schar and Rudis more widely available. As they are so difficult to obtain, I don't get to enjoy them often and that really bums me out.
Remember that it's okay to have a preference that differs from other gluten-free bread eaters out there. We all have individual pallets and likes. While one brand may be great toasted, it may miss the mark for sandwich making. Gluten-free bread also varies in size for a variety of reasons, mostly likely due to varied ingredients.
The gluten-free bread industry is massive and full of competition. I'm confident that future innovations will hold impressive improvements! I'm always on the hunt for new and great gluten-free products so I can't wait to see what the future has to offer!
What are some of YOUR favourite gluten-free bread's?! Let me know in the comments below.
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
I had a ton of fun developing this recipe and I am thrilled with how it turned out. It's clear my family must be too- because they devoured the Cinnamon Sugar Lasagne Crisps! Served warm, these are a delightful and cozy little snack. I can't wait to make more!
- Produced in a dedicated gluten-free facility
- Certified by the Canadian Celiac Association's Gluten-Free Certification Program
- GMO Free
- Cholesterol and preservative free
- Low in sodium
- Oven ready (no need to boil noodles)
You know I love sharing giveaways with you guys right?
Catelli is giving away one case (12 boxes) of their gluten free lasagne to a lucky Gluten Free Doll reader!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Keep scrolling for the Cinnamon-Sugar Lasagne Crisps recipe
Cinnamon Sugar Lasagne Crisps
1 box Catelli Gluten-Free Lasagne
1 pinch of salt
1 cup cinnamon sugar
1. Fill large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Place on med/high heat and bring to boil
2. Break lasagne noodles into halves
3. Place noodles in water once it has reached a roaring boil
4. Boil for about 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally
5. Remove noodles from water and place on parchment paper
6. Let noodles dry for about 30 minutes
7. Once noodles are no longer soaking wet, add about 2 inches of oil to a large pot and set to med/high heat
8. Oil is ready for frying when a small cube of gluten-free bread browns in 60 seconds
9. Place noodles in oil, a few at a time to prevent crowding
10. Fry until noodles are golden brown then remove from oil and place on parchment paper
11. Dust noodles with liberal coating cinnamon sugar
12. Serve warm with frosting
2 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk
¼ cup cream cheese
1 tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Place 2 cups of icing sugar in mixing bowl
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add to icing sugar, along with 2 tablespoons of milk and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
3. Melt ¼ cup of cream cheese and add to mixture
4. Whisk ingredients until they develop a smooth and creamy consistency
Saturday, September 26, 2015
Fall is finally upon us. This means that both NHL and NFL fans everywhere are excited and cheering for their favourite teams.
Hockey fans and football fans have a couple of things in common:
1 . They are passionate about their favourite sport
2 . Game day goes hand in hand with awesome food
The most talked about tailgating dishes tend to be on the not so healthy end of things. Tasty? Sure! Great idea every game? Not so much. I've come up with three game day snacks that are yummy, fun to eat, easy to make and KID Friendly!
For this snack, you will need:
- Wash, peel and core the apple
- Cut the apple into french fry style wedges
- Toss apple wedges in cinnamon sugar
- Mix vanilla yogurt with honey and chia seeds
Now it's time to dip the wedges into the honey chia yogurt mixture and enjoy!
Gluten-Free Wraps (I used Udi's)
- Microwave gluten-free wraps for about 20 seconds so they are pliable
- Cut wraps into one-inch strips
- Slice bananas so they are an inch wide
- Spread peanut butter on some strips & Nutella on the remaining ones
- Place banana on wrap and roll up until wrap is secure
Plate and eat!
For this snack, you will need:
- Wash grapes
- Cut kielbasa and cheese into bite-sized cubes
- Place items on skewers
Voila! You have a quick and healthy snack!
Remember, game day snacks can be healthy without sacrificing taste! You can check out more ideas here.
What are some of YOUR go-to game day snacks?
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
I need to share with you guys a fantastic shop in Toronto. It's called Feast and boy, is it heavenly! A friend of my husband's suggested the shop to him a while ago. Unfortunately, we don't visit the city much due to the travel distance. We did, however, see a Blue Jays game recently. This gave us the opportunity to visit Feast!
The first thing I noticed when we got to Feast was the sign out front. The inside of the shop is cozy and cute. What's super cool is that the owners have done a stellar job creating a cafe which doubles as a pantry shop.
Feast isn't your average everyday store. It's top eight allergy friendly fine food. The owners have strict allergen standards in place to ensure safety. They create a lot of food in house, as you can tell by the awesomeness that is below. Just look at those gluten-free Pocket Pies!
Gluten-Free Donuts. Need I say more?
I went for the "Tripple Chocolate Donut" which retails for $3.50 and it was divine! I would compare it to the awesomeness that is Erin Mckenna's Bakery (formerly Babycakes) in Disney Springs, Orlando. The donut is epic so make sure to try this light and delicious piece of heaven!
I did some pantry shopping as well. One of the many items I bought was this Spice Market gem. Three 5 inch mini pizza crusts for $5.00. Taste, texture and all sorts of goodness in this product!
Feast is located at 881 Queen Street W. Toronto, ON.
Can't make it to Toronto but want to check out the goods? No problem! Items can be shipped across Canada. Simply visit their online shopping catalogue and you can order all sorts of gluten-free products.
They have also teamed up with Hurrier to deliver Feast made products to addresses within a 3km radius. Items will be at your door in an hour.
Check em out online and send some gluten-free love!